About Me

My photo
London, Battersea, United Kingdom
I have been blogging since 2010. I have been married for 32 years and have three children,I have been blessed with Four Gorgeous Grandchildren. I love making my own cards, but dabble in cake making & crochet too. I enjoy going to Alexander Palace twice a year with my mum. I live in Battersea and have grown up here, although me and hubby's dream is to one day live in Spain.....

Tuesday 5 June 2012

Diamond Jubilee

Hello my lovelies x


I do hope you are enjoying the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, whether it be visiting London and soaking up the atmosphere OR just watching everything on your TV (like me), Lol.


It's quite rude of me really, coz Battersea Park & other bridges are only down the road from me. ! I went to visit my Mum over the weekend. Went & spent some pennies in the Craft Barn & saw some lovely demos ( hence where I just had to spend )Lol. 
On Saturday evening I became ill !!!! bloomin cough .... then Sunday .... runny nose .... sore throat .... blowing hot & cold. I could not warm up for love nor money on Sunday. Got up on Monday & me & hubby made our way home @ 8.30am, it was bliss coz there was no traffic.
Stopped on the way to stock up on ... honey.... fresh lemons.... throat sweets..... tissues.....


I really enjoyed watching ALL the celebrations on TV. When the concert was on last night & they let off the fire works at the end, I could actually hear them. Lee (hubby) said "Can you believe how close we live to the Queen". It's so true.


I am proud of my Son Kerry policing on Saturday.


Anyway .... today I decided to get in the spirit of the last day of celebrations.
I made posh sausage & mustard rolls for brekkie.
Gonna have beef stew & dumplings with mash & veg for dinner.
Queen cakes with a cup of Rosie Lee for tea.


Here are the cakes & recipe for Queen Cakes.

This is my first cooking book .
My Nan Penfold bought it for me when I was a kid.
I often used to stay at my Grand parents house.

Here are the Queen Cakes 


I could not photograph the recipe & method.
Who would have thought you would have had this trouble !! Lol
                                        


Here is the Recipe & method:

Queen Cakes

100g butter or margarine (4oz).
100g Caster Sugar (4oz).
150g McDougalls self-raising flour (6oz).
Pinch of salt.
2 eggs.
30ml milk (2tbsp).
100g currants (4oz).

Prepare by the creaming or one-stage method.

Divide mixture evenly between 18-20 paper baking cases or greased bun tins. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 190 degrees. 375 Fahrenheit. Gas mark 5.

Creaming Method

1/ Cut up the fat (warmed, but not melted, in cold weather), beat until soft with a wooden spoon or spatula. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.

2/ Sieve or mix together the flour, salt & spice (if used). Add eggs to creamed mixture, one at a time, with a little of the flour, etc. Stir, then beat thoroughly.

3/ Stir in milk (syrup, if used) and a little flour. Beat again. Add fruit, flavouring, etc, and the rest of the flour. Fold in lightly, but thoroughly, then bake as directed.

I do hope you have a bash at making these cakes. They won't last 5 minutes in my house Lol.
You could always add vanilla essence and or cinnamon.
I decided to just follow the recipe, just as Nan did x 


13 comments:

  1. Love your Queen Cakes Sally...I used to live in London years ago it is funny how we take the Queen for granted....I hope you are feeling better now.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, to be so close to history! someday I would love to come to your neck of the woods! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you celebrated the Jubilee in just the style you wanted Sally. :-) It's always so much fun to read posts from you Brits. You all use the most fabulous words and phrases and I like trying to figure out what some of them mean. LOL I hope you're feeling much better. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try your Queen cakes! Sounds easy enough!
    I DID watch some of the celebration on TV.
    Makes me smile!
    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Hun,love your cakes they look,so good,I too enjoyed the celebrations at the weekend she looked amazing such a pity,that,her husband was taken ill,but it was a brilliant,display of affection for her,hope you are feeling better sweetie nothing worse than a cold,take care Hun sorry not over as much but my dear wee one,sure keeps me on my toes,and can only get on here when he is asleep,take care hugs Cherylxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. your cakes look scrummy sally.love the little flags you`ve added.i hope you are feeling better soon.

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hum ! These cakes have the delicious air ! It is a pity I can not enjoy one it...

    Hugs from France.
    Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous scrummy looking cakes sweetie. Sorry you are poorly, I hope you feel better soon.

    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yummy! Your cakes look delicious, I will probably try them very soon, thanks for the recipe.
    I see you've been enjoying yourselves during the long week-end.
    I hope you feel better soon.
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh ils ont l'air trop appétissant et j'adore leur tenue si royale...biz

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUMMY!!!
    Sounds delicious!!!!
    thank yuo for sharing the reipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sally I do hope that you are a lot better now than you were when you wrote this post, you have made me feel so very hungry, I love the look of those cakes and the stew is a big favourite of mine, yummy, enjoy.
    Hugs
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those cakes do look yummy I may have to have ago.

    Hugs
    Jayne
    x

    ReplyDelete